Friday, June 12, 2009

How to Save Money with DTV Transition

Today, June 12th is the day that over-the-air TV stations are going fully digital (digital TV or DTV). If you ever thought about dumping your cable provider, now is a good time to do so. Nothing beat the fact that over-the-air digital TV, which is broadcast at 1050i, is free. All you need is a HD TV (either LCD or Plasma) and an antenna.

If you are ready to take the plunge, PCMag.com columnist Sascha Segan has written an excellent column, How I Slash My Bills with Tech (Part 2), explaining how he dumped cable for broadcast digital TV and saved big bucks in the process. The two items he recommends in the article:
are excellent products. The Winegard SS-3000 Amplified Indoor UHF/VHF Antenna is the Rolls Royce of TV antennas. I agree with Sascha Segan that this is simply the best indoor antenna out there and worth every penny of added cost, compared to the cheaper rabbit ears type one can pick up at Radio Shack.

Here's my set-up:
I have a cheap Viewsonic 32" HD LCD TV that I bought on sale from Office Depot. Because I live within city limits in an area with good reception, I settled for the cheap RCA powered/amplified rabbit-ear antenna.

I have had this set up for more than a year now (since last summer), and I have had excellent HD broadcast digital TV reception for free, which I supplement with free movies and TV episodes via www.hulu.com, www.tv.com, and Boxee.

I have not had cable since 2003, the date when I decided to get all my TV, movies and episodes via over-the-air broadcast and online. You can make the jump too, and save money in the process.

No comments: