Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Frugal Traveling Strategies

I am proud to say that I have always searched for bargains when I travel, whether for business or pleasure. Over the years, I have assembled my own favorites websites for hunting bargain deals:
  • Mobissimo.com (which bills itself as the world's most comprehensive travel search engine. I go to this site when I need to search for bargain deals for international travel)

  • Farecast.com (an airfare prediction service -- very useful to gauge airfare prices for pleasure travel, when your travel plans are flexible)

  • Kayak.com (another travel search engine aggregator that I visit)

  • Travelocity.com (an old standby -- I use this site to double check for bargains)

  • Orbitz.com (another old standby -- I use this site to double check for bargains)
After checking these sites, I also visit the airlines' and hotels' own websites, in case they have exclusive deals. Whenever possible, I try to book through the airlines' own sites to avoid the booking fee. Sometimes this is not possible (e.g., I have found cheap international airfares on Mobissimo.com that were not available on the airlines' own sites).

In addition, you should also check out PCMag.com's 10 Sites For Cheap Flights, which provides additional sites and comments that you could use to sniff out cheap air fares.

No comments: