Saturday, April 4, 2009

Using Coupons

Growing up in a middle class household, I learned about the power of coupons at an early age. My mother used to cut coupons from the Sunday newspapers and used the coupons at the local supermarkets. For a while, marketers have wondered whether coupons have a place in the 21st century, especially since the U.S. economy was booming and many Americans have high aspirational goals that were financed through debt. Using coupons seemed so passé and screams of being a cheapskate. With the collapse of the US economy in 2008 and new layoffs announced every week, the humble coupon is back in vogue. More and more folks are using coupons and even trading coupons on Freecycle, eBay and Craigslist.

I have always used coupons, even when times are good. My childhood years of being part of a family where money was tight have taught me the value of frugality and saving money wherever possible. I must confess that using coupons at grocery stores in the booming years of 2000 led to many stares, especially since I, a guy was using coupons. Often, when I am in the line, I find myself as the only guy who is using coupons. I recalled the days when I used coupons at my local Whole Foods, and not only did the cashier not know how to handle coupons, I had to endure the stares of others in the line. But those days are now long gone, since Whole Foods is promoting their in-store coupons, which you can pick up at the store entrance.

Another gripe I have is the fact that coupon products are designed for, and marketed toward women. I wouldn't be caught dead with the coupon holders that are designed on the assumption that only women use coupons. Being the frugal person I am, I stuff my coupons in an envelope that I dig out before I head to the checkout. I won't be surprised that with the economic downturn, more men are using coupons too.

The internet has also revolutionized the way I go about with coupons. I admit that I no longer buy the Sunday newspapers, when I could read all the news I wanted to know on the internet. The demise of newspaper publishers because of people like me could be the subject of another discussion, but I think newspaper publishers should come up with a new business model. Anyway, since I don't buy the Sunday newspapers but get my news online, I am also getting many of my coupons online.

I frequent two coupon websites: coupons.com (for coupons that I use at my local supermarket) and mambosprouts.com (for organic products coupons that I use at my local Whole Foods). You can select and print coupons from the privacy of your home and use them your local retailer. Mambosprouts.com also has a sign-up option for you to receive their printed coupon booklet by postal mail.

Finally, I am not an extreme coupon user, in that I don't do what some folks do, i.e., using coupons at Walgreens or CVS combined with sales and rebates to get cash back on their receipts. OK, I am a guy and I don't have that kind of patience. But printing out grocery coupons on coupons.com and mambosprouts.com is something that I can do, and it saves you money especially if you are able to plan your meals and shopping in advance.

What about you? Do you use coupons? Have you found any good coupon ideas?

No comments: